Welcome from Thomson Reuters
Keynote: Understanding the drivers and motivators behind great leaders: Adapting new approaches to thinking
- What makes great leaders ‘tick’ and think at boardroom level?
Innovation & Disruption in Corporate Governance: Where Best Practices & Technology Meet
Today’s directors face an increasing set of challenges that require new and innovative approaches to address. This session will explore how corporate boards are adapting to this era of volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity in the way they ensure value creation, fuel growth, and manage risk for their enterprises. Through a brief overview by Governance Technology Evangelist, Dottie Schindlinger, and a ‘talk-show’ style panel interview with leading company secretaries, this session will provide you with new perspective on how governance is evolving, and the tools and tactics company secretaries are using to help their boards meet new challenges.
We’ll touch upon topics such as:
- Delivering obligations to stakeholders and managing risk to the wider enterprise
- How does innovation and disruption in governance impact different sectors such as non-for-profit and regulated industries?
- Leveraging technology as both a source of risk and opportunity for value creation
- Engaging differently with stakeholders by adopting innovative and disruptive practices
- Lessons learnt: The Carillion story
- What should corporate governance principles for large private companies look like?
The portfolio career path: Expectations and approaches from the next generation to Company Secretaries and senior leaders
Hear from the next generation as to what they are looking for from their careers today and how they plan to reach their aspirations alongside men and women who have reached senior positions. What can we learn from them and how will they influence the structure and culture of organisations? What are their expectations on a day-to-day level from job?
- Characteristics of the next generation. What are their drivers and their turn offs? Are they ubiquitous? Do they vary by gender, social demographic and age of entry to the sector?
- What are senior leaders doing to nurture young talent into senior Company Secretarial roles?
- What does a career look like today? What is the role of a senior leader?
The evolution of the ‘agile’ Company Secretary: Creating a more dynamic and efficient workforce
As investment in technology increases, so too does individual work capacity, leading to a corresponding shift in the nature and scope of the role
How do companies require a new mind set by embracing innovation and new methods of working?
- Agile methodology and new working practices
- Mid-size organisations and smaller team perspectives
- Lessons learnt
- Ensuring agile working helps maintain the mental well being employees
The role of the Company Secretary to support effective Boardroom dynamics
How do boardroom dynamics and formal and informal decision making work to support resilience, risk, stakeholders and Directors?
- What can you as a Company Secretary contribute, and how do you minimise friction between the board and the Executive committee?
- Understanding the needs of a Chairman: what does he/she expect from a Company Secretary?
- What is the business case or value that allows you to talk to the Board?
- Delivering effective presentation, communication and negotiation skills to the board and executive committee
Breakout option 1: Career development: controlling your career and lessons learnt
- Successes and failures
- What will the role look like in 10 years?
Breakout option 2: Director’s duties for Company Secretaries
- Taking stock: Where are we now and how did we get here?
- Case study – An example of requirement for change
- Employee engagement and voice
- Challenges of increased transparency
Breakout option 1: Creating a technology road map for the Company Secretary
Companies face heightened risks, as well as increased opportunities, as a result of the rapid advance of technological innovation, but what is the role of the company secretary in assisting companies to navigate these risks and exploit these opportunities?
- Where are we? How is technology impacting Company Secretaries, their teams and the Board room dynamic?
- What are the limits and opportunities?
- The people dimension: Winning the hearts and minds of your team to embrace technology
- Working and thinking differently to safeguard your job and stay more closely aligned to the business
- What steps do you need to do to get things off the ground? Is it best to look at existing technology across the organisation or look at outside suppliers?
Breakout option 2: Interactive workshop to discuss and create solutions to GDPR challenges
Bringing diversity and inclusion to the forefront of your business strategy: Is your board fit for purpose?
- Parker Review
- Unconscious bias in the work place
- Board and executive succession planning
- Is there a clash between diversity and inclusion?
- The remuneration committee: Ethical remuneration and gender pay gap reporting
- Talent management
Boardroom Dilemma interactive session: The cyber ransom
An interactive session designed to put delegates in real-world scenarios to test their decision making processes
Networking and drinks
*Please note the agenda is subject to change
The page will be updated with further details on the agenda once they are confirmed.